By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our Small business and apprenticeship Forum

Helping people find their perfect career, apprenticeship or to get general business advice. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Interview with 2008 'The Apprentice' finalist, Claire Young!

Ryan

Hi all!

I was delighted when Claire Young agreed to answer some questions exclusively for Apprentice Forums. As you all probably know, Claire appeared on Lord Sugar's popular show 'The Apprentice' in 2008, and since then has gone on to succeed in both business life and personal life.

Here's the interview:

1. What does a 'normal day' consist of for you?
Every day is different and I don't really have a 'normal'. I'm an early riser, 6am, read the papers and emails online and this is probably my most productive part of the day brain wise - thoughts are made, lists are done! I can be working in the School Speakers office, or visiting a school/college/university to speak to students, have a government project meeting or being doing media work - such as radio, TV or writing. I like the diversity of my life.
2. Long before you even thought of applying for The Apprentice, did you see yourself becoming a businesswoman? And if so, a businesswoman as popular as you are?
I applied for 83 business jobs at university and from the age of 21 started climbing the career ladder. I appeared on The Apprentice age 28. I don't consider myself popular, I just work hard and enjoy what I do.
3. Just how much has appearing on The Apprentice changed your life?
The Apprentice completely changed my life! From always being an employee I left and decided to start my own business, to being thrown into the public eye and understanding the media industry to opportunities like going to No10 to meet the Prime Minister. It has been a wonderful experience.
4. Lord Sugar looks pretty scary when I'm watching The Apprentice, is he the same off-air, or is he all soft and cuddly?
I wouldn't use the word cuddly but he is a very nice man and supportive of past candidates (well the ones who aren't plonkers!)
5. Since you appeared on The Apprentice, you've started up TeenBiz, a great way for young people to get their business idea out there. Do you have any tips for our readers who are considering applying?
Read the application form and take the time to do it well! It amazes me how many forms arrive incorrect and can tell it's been done in a rush.
6. How do you feel apprenticeships help young people and businesses?
I think apprenticeships are the simple answer to helping businesses gain resource which they need to do and giving young people a structured opportunity to earn money, learn and become skilled.
7. I think to say you've been successful when it comes to what you do is an understatement! What tips do you have for young people who want to follow in your footsteps?
JDI - just do it! Too many people talk and not enough do. Believe in yourself or no one else will. Take some risks, don't follow the crowd and find your passion. If you enjoy going to work you've cracked it.
8. What does the future hold for you?
Grow my business, become Mummy Young this summer and probably one day move into politics I think.

I honestly cannot express how much of an honour it was to interview Claire, and how grateful I am that she took time out of her busy schedule to answer them for us.

On behalf of everyone associated with Apprentice Forums, we wish Claire the best of luck in the future, and especially with the pregnancy!

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding