By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

part time job

Gooner95

Gooner95

hi everyone

i'm currently at college doing a level 3 I.T course, although it's not something i can see myself doing in the future as i just want to get as many qualifications as i can

i want to get a part time job so i have some money in my back pocket, but where would i start by looking for one?

Ryan

Hi Stuart

I was in that situation when I was at college, it's a nightmare because my friends were either getting everything paid for them by their parents or in full time jobs, so they were sorted either way.

Anyway, I got a job at McDonalds (I'm sure there's one near you). The money's half decent and you can usually work as many hours as you want, depending on what the manager is like. If you're not interested in that, Google "part time jobs in --where you live--", or maybe even look around at local shops.

Someone I know did something really fancy with their CV, paid a couple of quid to get it all printed brilliantly and made to look really good and handed them round shops, come the end of the day, the people who said there were no jobs looked at his CV and what he had done and offered him interviews. From what I can remember he had about 6 interviews the next week and took 2 part-time jobs!

Gooner95

Gooner95

hi ryan, thank you

i live in a small town in yorkshire, so our town centre is pretty big so i'll do what you suggested and go to local shops, any other tips?

Ryan

That's great news!

Aside from the obvious: dress smart, have a positive attitude, be polite and look enthusiastic. Also, if you're applying at a place where you'd be dealing with customers, make sure you're polite with them when you hand your CV in, smile etc. as it shows you're good at handling them :)

Also, if a shop says they have no vacancies, politely ask them if they can keep your CV on file. A lot of shops have people who don't know what to do in those situations so just send you away!

Gooner95

Gooner95

thanks ryan, will let you know when i do it and how i get on

JDI 2490

JDI 2490

Try sainsburys if one is near you, thats where i work at the moment, its really good for part time hours and they often hire a lot of young people

Gooner95

Gooner95

Try sainsburys if one is near you, thats where i work at the moment, its really good for part time hours and they often hire a lot of young people
ideally i'd want something within walking distance (it about a 15 min drive from my house) so its not ideal for a part time job

thanks for the suggestion though mate,will look into it

W

whocky

Part-time jobs are easy if you go to somewhere like Mcdonalds or Burger King though its not as rosey as it seems. I worked at a care home for 9 years and tryed a job at burger king ( as a side job ) i lasted a whole of wait..... wait.... 1 and a half days. lol yep you read right. If you like it though its a good little money earner.

Ryan

Yeah, sometimes the negatives outweigh the positives in those big fast food restaurants

fairdealworld

fairdealworld

Just mentioning as an employer that people often come into my shop and ask if there are any jobs. Inevitably the answer is no (though I admire the fact that they are willing to ask) as we are struggling in the recession and if I was wanting to employ someone I'd have advertised the job rather than hoping someone would just happen to come in and ask. On the other hand if someone handed in to me a CV and job application letter which suggested ways in which they could help my business I might just consider taking them on. The world is full of people who want jobs and are willing to work but there are fewer folk around who can offer positive skills and have gone to the trouble of identifying what a particular business might need.

If someone came into my shop and said 'I'm good at talking to people, I'm willing to bike round to all sorts of organisations in this town to try to promote your shop will you take me on for two weeks as a trial?" I'd seriously consider it. If the same person or someone else said 'I'm brilliant at social media, will you give me a trial of developing your social media presence?" I'd seriously consider it (my shop does have a social media presence but it is hard to fit in around everything else). If someone said "Your signage is looking a bit dated and I've got some great ideas for doing it up at reasonable expense" I'd seriously consider it. If someone came in and said "Your forecourt has a lot of weeds growing between the slabs I'll root them out by hand for £x" I'd seriously consider it and, of course recommend the person concerned to other local businesses if they were any good.

Small businesses are under incredible pressure and sometimes job applicants need to focus on useful services they could provide rather than just asking for 'a job' without any indication of their skills or lack of them.

Jamie

Jamie

Do you do your course Monday-Friday? If so look for a café or restaurant somewhere :)

Ziporal Mothis

Ziporal Mothis

Hello! It seems like you're weighing your options for securing a part-time position. Start your search for an internship or full-time position by browsing online job boards or visiting your school's career services office. I hope you find success in your job search.