By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Web Hosting Reseller

Ryan

Anyone looked into becoming a web hosting reseller?

It's something I'm thinking about doing, seen as though you can pick up a package for dirt cheap :)

Adam

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
I would encourage you to get a plan together proceeding with a reseller, If you can afford it then it would be better for you to have your own VPS with WHMCS and go from there. There are alot of restrictions on reseller accounts and if you are serious about the business you need to start from something you have alot of control over. The worst thing i find when seeing start up's is that reseller accounts are generally easy to spot and the only people they seem to attract is low value customers which don't stay very long.

Ryan

Problem is, there are thousands of hosts, so I guess if I went ahead with it, I'd need to think of a good marketing plan ton be successful

Adam

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
If i was you i would consider it very careful and start out by targeting a set niche, for example i own a small hosting company which i ONLY target small businesses and we make a focal point of that business the customer service and nearly instant response times to support requests, bigger hosts can not offer that.

So you could offer hosting to dedicated platform , i.e wordpress, joomla , magento etc etc. Or to a particular topic like gaming , business, etc etc etc. The list is endless and also allows you to focus on one marketing vertical rather than the broad term of "hosting" which you are correct there is a huge amount of competition for.

Offer something that sets you apart and gives you hold on the niche market you are targeting.

Jamie

Jamie

I'm learning more about hosting and whatnot and I'm going to be selling fairly cheap sites for people who don't know how to. My Dad will be my first customer, I just need to sort out where/how I'm getting hosting.